Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:06:27 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SANs, disks, & devfs

Matt,

We have many storage devices which doesn't sport a serial number,
so any "I mean this particular disk, no matter where you find it"
scheme will have to be based on "in-sector" labels, be it FreeBSD
or other labels.

The BSD disklabel already have a field for disk-name which can be
used for this, what we need is to collect these names as we see them
and provide a "is this disk attached and if so where" function to
look it up.

This would be pretty ugly in the current setup, but pretty straight
forward in the "Geom" stuff I'm working on when I have time.

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe