Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:30:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        charlespeters@tecpro.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail being returned to senders (My ISP is not relaying some of my mail from certain domains)

> I am having a problem with email being returned to
> senders, but I am unable to assure myself that it is
> my server (chickenbean.com and alias tecpro.com) or my
> IPS's server (ais.ais-gwd.com).  The mail being
> returned is from certain domains, such as sprint.ca,
> clemson.edu, aol.com, gte.com, etc.

>    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal
> errors -----
> <charlespeters@tecpro.com>

> ... while talking to ais.ais-gwd.com.:
> <<< 550 <charlespeters@tecpro.com>... Relaying denied
> 550 <charlespeters@tecpro.com>... User unknown

It's pretty clear that the error is originating at the host which
identifies itself as 'ais.ais-gwd.com'.  It's pretty clear that
it's denying the relay to tecpro.com.  My guess would be that
your ISP has your chickenbean.com domain listed as one of its
clients; but not tecpro.com.  They are apparently configured to
only relay to/from client domains - if they don't recognize
tecpro.com as belonging to a client, they won't relay for it.

-Pat