Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 21:17:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, metcalf@imagine.com
Subject:   Re: Help: backup to hard drive?

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:

>      After all the advice that was given to me by the staff and
>      newsreaders at FreeBSD (for which I am very grateful), I
>      have decided on the best backup option for me.  I believe
>      in terms of cost, and performance on both my FreeBSD
>      partition and my Win95 partition, that investing in a
>      second large hard drive is my best option.  I am going
>      to purchase a SCSI-2 hard drive to be attached to my
>      Trantor SCSI controller on my ProAudioStudio sound board.
>      Do you anticipate any problems?  I am running Win95 and
>      FreeBSD 2.1.0.

Er, are you sure the Trantor is supported by either OS?  I have a
ProAudioSpectrum Plus that has a trantor controller on it and it's not.

Also note you won't be able to boot from it.

What is your current disk?  IDE?

>      My primary question is: how should I format and partition
>      my new hard drive appropriately so that I will have a
>      DOS/Win95 partition and a UNIX partition such that they
>      contain only the most minimal formats and OS files necessary to
>      archive files to.  In other words, I would like my UNIX partion
>      to not have to contain any unnecessary operating system files.
>      I want to optimize space by just putting 'tar' files there if
>      I can.  I want a similar setup with my Win95 partition, but I
>      think I have the documentation and know how for that.

If you can mount the new disk, you'll have to prepare it manually then
either install to it or examine your system and copy over the appropriate
files.

Again, you won't be able to boot from this controller, since it doesn't
have a boot ROM.