Date:      Thu, 19 May 2005 10:09:20 -0500
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        Matti Saarinen <mjsaarin@cc.helsinki.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CURRENT: ifconfig tap0 results in core dump

On 5/19/05, Matti Saarinen <mjsaarin@cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> Now, I've terminated PID 584 (openvpn)
>=20
> % ifconfig tap0
> tap0: flags=3D8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        inet6 fe80::2bd:9ff:fe7c:100%tap0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
> zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  ifconfig tap0
>=20
>=20
> I remember that ifconfig didn't dump core when my laptop ran CURRENT
> from a few months ago.
>=20
You'll probably need to build a version of ifconfig with debugging
symbols. And then provide a backtrace of the core dump.

How soon after killing openvpn, do you use the ifconfig command.  It
might be possible that devfs was in the process of removing tap0, when
you used the ifconfig command.

Another possibility is that openvpn didn't properly cleanup after
itself when it shutdown.  So you may also need to look at the openvpn
code.

>  If I restart the openvpn process, the tap0 interface works but ifconfig =
tap0
> still dumps core.

Does tap0 really work, or is there a new tap1 interface (i.e. openvpn
sees tap0 in use, and creates tap1), using the tap0 settings.

Scot