Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:10:01 -0400
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Shaun Amy, CSIRO TIP/ATNF" <amy@explorer.tip.CSIRO.AU>, "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Vinum (was: CCD questions)

On Friday, 29 October 1999 at  8:56:01 -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Stephen J. Roznowski wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at the tutorial on building CCDs at
>>
>> 	http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/formatting-media/x205.html
>
> I am the author of said document ;)
>
>> It seems that this page needs to be updated to include the FAQ
>> entry between the ccdconfig and newfs. [I don't remember the
>> error I had before I did the disklabel...]
>>
>> 	# ccdconfig ccd0 32 0 /dev/sd0c /dev/sd1c /dev/sd2c

>> 	# newfs /dev/rccd0c
>>
>> Is this really the case? [If so, I'll send-pr a correction]
>
> ccdconfig manufactures a disklabel when you create the stripe, so you
> don't need to adjust the disklabel.  The subdisks must have disklabels,
> and you can't use the C partition since ccd only uses partitions of type
> 4.2BSD.
>
>> Also, "newfs -v /dev/ccd0c" yields
>>
>> 	newfs: /dev/rccd0c: `c' partition is unavailable
>>
>> but "newfs /dev/ccd0c" works. Why is this?
>
> ccds are goofy.  They're not real devices.  If the tutorial says to newfs
> rccd then that is a problem.

I think you've missed a different point here.  /dev/rccd0c *should* be
correct; in 4.0-RELEASE there will be no block devices, so if it
doesn't we need to do something quickly.

The point here is that Stepen used the -v option for newfs, which
tells newfs to ignore partition information.  This is needed for
Vinum, and hasn't been used for anything else.  Stephen, what does
'newfs /dev/rccd0c' do?

>> Finally, the CCD homepage at http://stampede.cs.berkeley.edu/ccd/
>> seems unavailable. Is this temporary or permanent?
>
> CCD is deprecated by vinum.

I think that, as long as ccd is still available (and I don't see it
going away soon), the docco should be available too.

On Friday, 29 October 1999 at 22:28:00 +1000, Shaun Amy, CSIRO TIP/ATNF wrote:
> In message <199910291212.IAA40158@cc158233-a.catv1.md.home.com> you write:

>>> Why?  Do you have a compelling reason not to use Vinum volume manager?
>>
>> No, but why should I use Vinum over CCD? (All I want to do is create
>> some larger disks).
>>
>> I just did a search on www.freebsd.org, and all I could find about Vinum
>> seems to imply that the software isn't ready for prime time. Also, a
>> quick scan of the vinum(4) man page doesn't lead to a lot of confidence
>> since a large portion of the page is devoted to "DEBUGGING PROBLEMS WITH
>> VINUM" including kernel panics....

You can get panics with ccd as well.  Since Vinum is still being
actively developed, there are parts which are not as stable as others.
The CCD functionality has been stable for over 12 months.

The known bugs files and DEBUGGING PROBLEMS section of vinum(4) are
there to ensure that you don't have more problems than necessary.  You
shouldn't take them as an indication that you're going to have trouble.

>> Is Vinum ready for prime time?
>
> Vinum is included in the 3.3-RELEASE which suggests there must be a very high
> level of confidence in its stability and functionality.  I would guess that
> while Vinum is being actively maintained by Greg et al., ccd is showing its
> age and is probably not being as actively maintained.  Vinum has been around
> for q good amount of time - I heard Greg talk about is in September 1998 at a
> conference.
>
> For some fun, I recently (four weeks ago) decided to stripe and concatenate
> a couple of filesystems across two 4GB SCSI disks.  I was so confident I
> moved my home directory off my older 2.2.8-STABLE box onto one of these vinum
> devices and whilst one user probably doesn't hit things hard I have seen no
> problems.
>
> Having had considerable experience with Sun's DiskSuite on Solaris boxes I
> didn't have much of a problem in getting things going (it was even easier
> than I thought).  There is some excellent info on Greg's WWW site:
>
>    http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html
>
> which may help you get going.  Note that the RAID-5 functionality is now also
> present.

Note that RAID-5 functionality is one of the areas that I wouldn't
recommend for prime time yet.

Greg