Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:04:31 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        ckwen <ckwen@eembox.ee.ncku.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can two fast ethernet cards work in a freebsd box ?

ckwen wrote:

> I install two Dlink DFE-530TX on my freebsd 3.3 box.
> They can be detected by kernel without problems.
> It happens when I connect them with two cat.5 lines to a
> 100 Mb hub. During booting sequence, the kernel reports
> that the link status of the first interface is full-duplex 100 Mbps
> but the second interface is half-duplex 10 Mbps. I expect that
> the two links should be full-duplex 100 Mbps.
> Can anyone help me out ?

Your autonegotiation is failing.  If you're certain it is plugged into a
100 Mb hub, try adding "mediaopt 100baseTX" to the ifconfig parameters.

If you're plugging both into the same hub, don't be surprised if you get
other error messages too.  There is no real reason to place two network
interfaces on the same physical network.