Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:00:41 -0400
From:      Heliocentric <heliocentric@gmail.com>
To:        "Vahan Yerkanian" <vahan@arminco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PXE boot jumpstarting

On 4/25/06, Vahan Yerkanian <vahan@arminco.com> wrote:
> While we are on the subject, is it possible to setup a FreeBSD PXE
> server that lets you netboot different OSes from iso images via a boot
> menu? I know it's possible with linux [1] [2]. Could be useful in labs
> where you use different OSes and want to minimize cd/dvd clutter.
yes. in fact, most of the steps are exactly the same; the only
difference is that you need to download syslinux itself, as I don't
think it's in the ports tree.

As a general rule, if the platform can install a dhcp server with the
pxeboot options, and a basic tftp server, it can pxeboot anything you
want it to. Now, this doesn't mean that what you pxeboot will be able
to get auxillary files it needs off the server, but that's to be
expected, and planned for (that's why the next server option is there,
after all!).