Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:42:40 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "F A.S" <fowas@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Bug

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 10:49:46AM +0300, F A.S wrote:

> I sent this email already two days ago, but I got no response. I am really
> in desperate need for help, since I have a deadline in 5 days.

Hmmm... fatal trap 12 often indicates hardware problems: overheating,
bad memory, bad CPU are all fairly common.  Try pulling out one SIMM
at a time and running for a while on reduced memory, or swap out with
known good memory.  Check fans are operational and that vents aren't
clogged with dust.

> I have a fresh FreeBSD installation on a PC with Squid running on top. But,
> I've noticed that the system reboots on a fatal trap 12 every 3-4 hours.
> Here are the details:
>
> - FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #0
> - Default installation: /usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
> - PC: Compaq EP Series P450/6.4 ARA

4.0-RELEASE is pretty old and had some nasty bugs.  First thing to do
is try upgrading to something more up to date, like 4.6.2-RELEASE

> The Trap:
> /kernel: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> /kernel: fault virtual address	= 0x8
> /kernel: fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
> /kernel: instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc01cf0c4
> /kernel: stack pointer	        = 0x10:0xc031ac64
> /kernel: frame pointer	        = 0x10:0xc031ac6c
> /kernel: code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> /kernel: = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> /kernel: processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> /kernel: current process		= Idle
> /kernel: interrupt mask		=
> /kernel: trap number		= 12
> /kernel: panic: page fault
> /kernel:
> /kernel: syncing disks... 2
> --------------------------------
> Please, if anyone can help in any way, I'll really appreciate it.

This output, in and of itself, isn't actually very helpful.  Take a
look at:

    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/03/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/04/04/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

which will show you how to get a lot more detailed information out of
your system and hopefully that should be enough to track down the
cause of the problem.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way