Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:58:11 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates

On Wed, 10-Feb-1999 at 19:15:25 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > what is the current status of softupdates?
> > > is it safe to turn on softupdates (no ccd)?
> >
> > It's been working just fine here for at least the last 6 months.. I haven't
> > heard any softupdates-related panics/crashes on the mailing lists in a while.
>
> Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
>
> It could very well be that those people running soft updates are
> so trashed that they can't post their horror stories to the list...
>
> That was a joke, in case it wasn't obvious.
>
> I think there are still two or three "rough edges", if not outright
> bugs, like unexpected behaviour when marking /, etc..

Speaking of / ...

I have three filesystems to mount apart from root. First I enabled
softupdates on these three to see if all works well before doing
this on the root fs. During every boot I see 3 times:

ffs_mountfs: superblock updated for soft updates

Than I enabled softupdates for / as well. However, I still see only three
times the message above. But mount tells me that softupdates are enabled
for all four filesystems. Is it normal that enabling softupdates for the
root fs doesn't produce this message?

Just wondering...

	-Andre