Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:13:53 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        james <jamesb@nelsonbay.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing a2ps + other config questions

> >> Q2.  Would like the other computers on the lan to be able to http through
> >> the free BSD's pppd.  I see that the ppp command has an -alias command but
> >> the ppp command produces an "ERROR" when I get to the part to enter in the
> >> AT <phone number>.  The pppd run by itself, does however connect and work (
> >> except the other computers can not see past our freeBSD server ).
> >
> >You need to run a proxy server on the machine or you need to use something
> >like NAT.
>
> OK.  Have seen squid running on the freeBSD machine when I first installed
> it last week, but now ( a few installs later )it does not run.  So what do
> I do to make it run OK at startup.
> Is there a variable in rc.conf or should I just run it as a local...

You'll need to run it yourself.  Please note _I've never used squid_, but
you probably want something like this in /etc/rc.local:

if [ -x /path/to/squid ]; then
   echo -n ' squid'
   /path/to/squid -squidoption1 -squidoption2
fi

Where you need to insert your path to squid and any appropriate options.

> >> Q6.  Is it possible to run informix IDS for linux on freeBSD ?  Or put
> >> another way, what do I do to run a large linux application.
> >
> >Make sure you have linux emulation turned on and just run it.  You _may_
> >need to use the brandelf command if its not recognised as a linux binary
> >and you _may_ need to hack installation scripts which specifically expect
> >the system to report itself as Linux.
>
> This is Great news !
> Just one little thing with that, how do I make sure Linux emulation is
> turned on and what do I run to run it ?

You just type "linux".  If you want to activate the linux emulation at
startup (so you don't need to type linux and can just run things without
thinking :) you'll need to have a file such as /etc/rc.conf.local and add the
line

linux_enable="YES"

Thats it.  Once that is done you can just run the linux programs as you
would any other program.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083