Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:10:26 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        hmmm@alaska.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: . File

> i HAVE to do a ". /completePath/to/File" for it to function.
> am i really stuck?  why do references to my PATH var get lost when
> specifying ". File"

Because the PATH variable specifies where programs may be found for
execution.  When you do ". <file>", you're *not* executing a
program; you're telling the currently running shell to read commands
from some <file>.

Why do you need to do this anyway?  Chances are there's something else
wrong in the whole process that's making such a thing necessary when
it shouldn't be.  Tell us, and we'll help!

--k