Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 2004 01:41:58 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Rem Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
Subject:   Re: Custom Kernel

<fixed top-posting>

On Sunday 28 November 2004 01:25 am, Rem Roberti <remegius@comcast.net> wrote:
> Rem Roberti wrote:
> > Joshua Tinnin wrote:

> >><snip>

> >><snip>

> >>^^^^
> >>
> >><snip>

> >><snip>

> >><snip>

> >>OK, you need to uncomment the device miibus line (marked above). It has
> >> to be enabled if you want to enable VIA Rhine support, which you have in
> >> your config.
> >>
> >>- jt
> >
> > No dice. I made the change to the file, uncommenting the device miibus
> > line, and I receive the same error message.
>
> Okay, it turns out that I was editing the wrong file. Instead of editing
> the configuration file that was in the /etc/src/sys/i386/conf directory,
> I was editing the configuration file that I had redirected to a new
> directory, as indicated by the handbook. I guess I was under the
> impression (newbie!) that having created a symbolic link somehow allowed
> me to edit the redirected file.

Well, if you're going to make a symbolic link so that you're changes don't get
wiped out with the next update, what you want to do is create the link
in /etc/src/sys/i386/conf and point it to your file like so:

# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
# ln -s /path/to/YOURKERN

This way, you should be able to (if you use vim):

# vim /path/to/YOURKERN

and edit your configuration file without touching the source conf folder.

When you ln -l /usr/src/sys/i386/conf you should see something like this:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     22 Jun 23 12:17 YOURKERN -> /path/to/YOURKERN

If not, or if it points to the wrong place, then move your existing correct
kernel configuration file to someplace you will remember (you can use your
home dir if you want), and make a symbolic link as described above (make sure
to delete any that aren't correct first). It's better that way, as otherwise
the next time you cvsup your source, you might wipe out your custom config
file.

> Anyway, once I edited the correct
> configuration file I was able to go ahead with the compilation and the
> install. Everything worked perfectly, and the system rebooted without
> incident---and faster.

Excellent. Glad to be of help.

- jt