Date:      Sat, 05 Jun 1999 11:00:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        Todd Backman <tbackman@c523578-a.sttls1.wa.home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: kermit problems

On 05-Jun-99 Todd Backman wrote:

> It seems that if I invoke kermit to transfer a file, and the operation is
> not completed successfully, I can never get the modem to work again.
> that is, I invoke kermit, start the transfer of a file, then say kermit
> dies or I kill it or something mid-stream. any future invokations will
> never even be able to dial the telephone number...
>
> the only solution is to reboot the machine, and then it works fine
> again.
>
> currently I'm doing all of this by hand but eventually I'd like to
> completely automate the sending of this file - that's going to be pretty
> damned difficult if i have to reboot every time it fails...
>
> Any ideas?

First: check that the modem resets on loss of DTR
(AT&D3 for Hayes if I remember correctly).

Next: what is the result of a 'kill -1 1' after the failure ?

Regards,
---
Don Read                                 dread@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager                                  dread@texas.net
Calcasieu Lumber Co.                               Austin TX
-- Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy
    and taste good with ketchup.