Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 19:38:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        tom@haven.uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        davide.tome'@galactica.it, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Slip over telnet

As Tom Samplonius wrote:

> > for example if it's possile to do a slattach on device /dev/ttyp01
>
>   Doesn't matter even if you could, as SLIP won't work over a Telnet link
> as telnet uses certain special characters to negotiate parameters.  PPP
> will work as it will allow some characters to be escaped.

I think, with telnet/binary, it should be possible.  At least, we
do already uucp (and z-modem) locally on a telnet-gatewayed login.

Our pty code doesn't support the SLIP line discipline however, but
maybe it's worth a try experimenting with it.
--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/