Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:31:45 -0400
From:      "John Straiton" <jsmailing@clickcom.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Max users on a single machine

We have a machine in production that serves as a mailserver. It has no
non-admin shell access. It does however, due to the mail accounts, have
around 1200 user directories/accounts on it. This is with only 400+ domains
going to it. My question is this:

Barring disk space limitations (36GB will probably handle quite a few more
accounts), is there any details I'll need to look at in having that many
users on the machine? I mean, is there a limit to the # of users on  a
machine in it's default state? Do we need to do anything to prepare for 5000
user accounts?

Thanks in advance,
John Straiton
ClickCom, Inc.