Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:38:20 +1000
From:      Adrian Carter <adrian@apic.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   tape drives

Hi Guys,
	Just got a Sony SDT-5200 DAT drive along with an Adaptec AHA-2910 SCSI
card (ahc0). BSD detects and recognises the drive, and an mt status returns
good data. However, using mt erase just sends the drive into permanent
'busy' mode, never ending the task, and kill -1,-9,-ABRT all refuse to kill
the process, and issuing a reboot shuts down from multi-user, but never
reboots. I have to manually reset the machine.
	I also installed amanda, and it exhibits similar problems. amlabel can
label the tape, but dumps dont actually work. amcheck however, repots no
problem.
	SO what am I missing here? Im using /dev/nrst0 as the device, and the DAT
unit works fine under Winslow NT 3.51 (thats where it lived for 2 weeks
before moving into the UN*X server).

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated. I jsut cant seem to find any
good info on setting up backups under FreeBSD, so even if you just wann
tell me to RTFM, Im happy to do so, just tell me somewhere with good
FreeBSD info on tapes/backups !! =)

Thanks in advance

Adrian