Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 2003 23:54:28 -0700
From:      Dragoncrest <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mail server reboot while upgrading ports

	Was just going about doing an upgrade to my primary mail server yesterday
and right in the middle of it doing its thing I hear a beep, it stops, then
reboots.  No warnings, no errors, nothing.  Just reboots.  Tracking it back
I was somewhere in the middle of upgrading /usr/ports/dns/p5-net-dns when
it burped.  It's done that to me before with python upgrades on a different
box.  I couldn't see what was actually happening at the console as I was
across the room ssh'ed in when it did this.  Logs don't show anything sadly
enough and for some reason I can't get the box to log portupgrade or make
so I can see when errors like this might happen.  Anyone got any ideas what
might be happening?  I did get the port upgraded, but not before having to
go in and clean up the mess that this reboot left.  I can't say this was
necessarily caused by the dns port I was upgrading cause it's done it in
the past a couple of times with other ports nearly the same way.  Yet after
it reboots if I go in and install the port manually (usually have to as the
port gets trashed because of whatever it is that reboots the machine) to
fix it, then everything plays nice.  I have no idea what's up.  Anyone have
any thoughts on this?