Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 09:06:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        pingjj01@holmes.ipfw.edu (Jim Pingle)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jim@pingle.org
Subject:   Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1370) pcm driver problem

> I have an Ensoniq AudioPCI (Purchased a while before they were bought out
> by creative labs and the card was renamed to the SB PCI64/128.) and have
> yet to get any results from it. This same error happened with my setup
> with 3.1-RELEASE cleanly installed and still shows up now that I am
> running 3.2-STABLE.
>
> I have this line in my kernel config:
> device          pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
>
> I have tried several variations that I read worked for others, but no
> references anywhere except in the es1370.c file match the error I see.
>
> Upon bootup, I get the following message:
>
> es1: <AudioPCI ES1370> rev 0x00 int a irq 10 on pci0.15.0
> pcm1: unable to map any ports

Reboot your machine and go into the BIOS configuration. Look around
(maybe under the 'advanced' section) for a setting that say something
like 'Plug and Play OS.' The setting usually has two choices: 'yes'
or 'no.' If it says 'yes' then that's your problem. FreeBSD is not
a Plug and Play OS, in the sense that it can't assign PCI device
resources (I/O addresses, IRQs) itself: the PCI BIOS has to set up
the devices first, then FreeBSD reads the configuration info and
deals with it accordingly. I'll bet a quarter that when you bought
your system, it came with either Lose95 or Lose98 pre-installed,
and you never checked the BIOS settings when you installed FreeBSD.

Anyway, change the BIOS 'Plug and Play OS' setting to 'no' and then
reboot the system.

-Bill