Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 12:51:15 -0700
From:      Ian Logan <ian@nmsu.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beginning SPARC port

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> I'd also argue that the legacy stuff should just generally be left
> alone until after the majority of the SPARC architecture support is
> rolled into the toolchain and your UltraSPARC port is at least booting
> single-user. :-)  Unless someone's got a serious jones on for running
> FreeBSD on their SPARCStation II right this very minute, waiting until
> you've made more progress is only in their best interest if they want
> maximum leverage for their own port.
>
>                                 Jordan
I guess I'm a little confused about what you're suggesting to leave
out.  A SS2 is indeed a very old box, and getting the code work right
for a 4c seems to be a lot of work.  However, from everything I've read
upto now the newer 4m's (ie SparcStaion (4|5|10|20)) aren't that far off
from the Ultra's, in other words they'll share alot of the same code. I
don't see any reason why 4m & 4u support couldn't happen in parallel :-)
	Ian aka the guy wanting to write the 4m code.

--
Ian Logan
Computing & Networking