Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 1999 19:28:16 +0200
From:      Shaun Jurrens <shaun.jurrens@stud.uni-regensburg.de>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE quirk in 3.2-STABLE kernel ?

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 11:15:25PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
#> In message <37AB8B48.4A79197B@tig.com.au> Chris writes:
#> : As always when a misconfiguration (read 'not to spec') is used enough
#> : then it quickly becomes somewhat of a de facto standard.
#>
#> I'd love to see chapter and verse on this :-)
#>
	The source of this mess almost certainly can be found by the assemblers
of mass produced boxes.  Although I know this thread doesn't belong here and I
hate to speak up in such trivial things, the cause certainly stems from the
discovery that running a atapi-cdrom and and eide hdd on the same cable and
controller was hurting their benchmark tests, the assemblers decided to invest
in a second cable and simply attach it to the second controller without taking
the time to change the jumper to master (time is money and pc assembly is not
renown for its profitability.  I've guess knowledge is power here too, and as an
acquaintance of mine likes to say, you get what you pay for.  Instead of
changing the driver probes to resemble the commercial sloppiness of Billy's boys
and their newly adopted friends at Uncle Torvald's, I would encourage users to
get a screw driver and try to discover a little more about "openess" in pc
systems.  It's not just the open source that can lead us to enlightenment, an
open pc housing can teach a lot too, if connected with a certain scientific
probing of possibilities and a little backround research on pc hardware.  It's
in rich supply on the net.  It's not just rtfm, it learn to use a good search
engine as well.

Sorry I kept you all so long. I'd help in -questions, but 100+ mails a day are
enough...
--

Yours truly,

Shaun D. Jurrens