Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 21:56:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lost root password

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, grcuerrier wrote:

> One of my techs entered a new root password, which he has forgotten.  Is
> there any way a user with "wheel" access can reset the root password
> without having to redo the whole server?

Root can do almost anything.  A user in the wheel group, with the root
password, can become root and do almost anything.  Users who have not
proven themselves to be 150% reliable should not have root access.  If
there is a need for a user to so a few `root things' you should be using
sudo, available in the ports collection.

> Strange question I know.  I thought possibly there would be a way upon
> power up.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Boot to single user, mount your disks, set the password.

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@diamond.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
            enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null