Date:      Thu, 7 May 2015 11:18:51 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: reproducible builds of FreeBSD in a chroot on Linux

> On May 7, 2015, at 02:22, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm one of the people involved in https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuil=
ds
> and have set up https://reproducible.debian.net which continously tests al=
> packages in the Debian archive for build reproducibility (so far on amd64
> only).
>=20
> For those who don't know, reproducible builds enable everyone to independe=
ntly
> verify that a given binary comes from specific source. This also allows to=

> indirectly verify that one's build system has not been tempered with - and=

> more. Please check the first URL of this mail for "the rest of the story".=

>=20
> And then someone pointed me to https://wiki.freebsd.org/ReproducibleBuilds=

> - kudos for how far you already!(!!)
>=20
> So now I would like to build freebsd myself, twice, and compare the result=
> and show these results as in
> https://reproducible.debian.net/rb-pkg/unstable/amd64/gcc-4.9.html - and t=
hen
> quite probably set up a jenkins job on jenkins.debian.net and do this ever=
> week.=20
>=20
> Here's the catch: I have basically no clue about freebsd - and I want to
> build on Debian linux (on amd64) in a chroot. (And, it will need you peopl=
e to
> look at the results and eventually fix them!) ;-)=20
>=20
> So maybe can you help me with my next step. I've found the github freebsd
> repo and cloned it, how to proceed further now?
>=20
> $ make buildworld
> Makefile:137: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>=20
> in the master branch of git://github.com/freebsd/freebsd wasn't right.. :/=
 ;)
>=20
>=20
> Thanks for any help and pointers! I've tried to find documentation on this=
 but
> had no luck so I figured  I could just ask...
>=20
>=20
> cheers,
>    Holger
>=20
> (please cc: me I'm not subscribed.)

Using bmake instead of make like others suggested should get you further, bu=
t IIRC you'll have to do some more magic with BOOTSTRAPPING and other things=
 to make the compile work (I think some of the GNU user land tools don't wor=
k in other areas of the build). There was some interest in fixing this a whi=
le ago, but I didn't have a commit bit at the time so I couldn't do it.

This is something my employer would kind of like to work.

If I get bored and am up at BSDCan, I'll see if I can get this to work on Fe=
dora 20...

Cheers!
-NGie=