Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 1999 16:10:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        Emmanuel Gravel <chemtechweb@psn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to boot after swapping HD's

If you now have FreeBSD on wd0 (which it sounds like you do), then boot
off the install floppy, and select Configure.  Then go to fdisk.  Select
the drive FreeBSD's / is on.  Use 'S' to set that partition active.  Then
hit 'W'.  FreeBSD will prompt you for a boot manager.  If FreeBSD is the
only OS on the machine, select standard.  You should be set after that.
FreeBSD should boot from wd0, and it should find /kernel and root just
fine.  The fixit floppy has undergone a bunch of changes since I first
used it.  You should be able to boot off the install floppy, then select
the Fixit option.  Then, select the Floppy option.  It should mount the
floppy, and give you some message about what's going on.  You should have
access to all the utils like ls, mount, umount, fsck, mv, cp, etc.  It's
just enough to get you going.  In earlier releases of FreeBSD, I think the
fixit floppy was bootable.  I don't think this includes 2.2.8, though (but
you could try).

Joe Clarke