Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:38:58 +1000 (GST)
From:      Meltedice <meltedice@kuentos.guam.net>
To:        Red Barchetta <paradox@pegasus.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: running system with no hostname

On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Red Barchetta wrote:

> I just recently installed 2.1.5R on my system.  I have to say I am impressed
> with the installer, which is massively improved from 2.1.0R, which I
> installed and then zapped when 2.1.5R was announced one day later :)
>
> Anyway, my question/problem stems from the fact that I connect to the
> internet via a dialup PPP link (haven't tried yet under FreeBSD) and that I
> therefore do not have a hostname assigned to my machine.  For now, I have
> placed an arbitrary name in the "hostname" field of /etc/sysconfig, but I get
> all sorts of daemons telling me on botup that the hostname (obviously)
> doesn't exist.  I know I can turn off things like sendmail until I get a
> permanent link in the fall, but can someone warn me as to what types of
> problems running without a "real" hostname can cause (the comments in
> sysconfig and the installer both stress the importance of this value)?
>
> Also, is there any way to tell FreeBSD's network daemons *not* to perform a
> hostname lookup (i.e. just use the dynamic IP address instead)?
>
> Thanks a lot...
>
> Ernie Pistor

Ernie,
	I have not had any problems with out a permanent IP when I am at
home. You are right, just shut-off the things like SENDMAIL. To get
PPP to recognize a dynamic IP address you just need to copy the
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.sample to /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup . While you are in
there you can edit the sample files there to personalize your PPP
session. All the needed information for these files is also on the man
page for ppp.

Bill

	=*                      Bill Shaw                        *=
	=*         Kuentos Communications Inc. Guam USA          *=
	=*               meltedice@kuentos.guam.net              *=
	=*            http://www.guam.net/home/bhshaw2           *=
	=*                IFORMS Chat Run On BSDI                *=
	=*          telnet buri.kuentos.guam.net 3000            *=