Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:36:40 +0200
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        spam maps <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
Subject:    Re: 5.3-Beta7 /  router & ntpdate: bug in bootup script or sequence?

El Martes, 12 de Octubre de 2004 15:16, spam maps escribi=F3:
> Hi,
>
> I have a router configured, which must properly
> synchronize time at bootup. For that purpose I
> use ntpdate to instantly adjust the time, then
> have let ntpd keep syncing time while running.
> All info for ntpdate and ntpd comes from
> /etc/ntp.conf.
>
> (ntpd also becomes the server of the local
> network, but that's now not so relevant)
>
> However, there seems to be something really odd
> when network access is needed for ntpdate; it
> simple cannot, and no time adjustment is done.
>
> Strangely enough: after bootup I can manually
> do the same ntpdate command, and it all works.
>
> Whatever I tried, nothing seems to help to get
> ntpdate do its work at bootup. My guess would
> be that there's something wrong with the bootup
> scripts or the sequence the scripts are called.
>
> The full bootup output, rc.conf and ntp.conf
> files are here:
>
>    http://cisr.snu.ac.kr/ntpdate.txt

I see this before.  You are using named from here.
Seems it may have a race condition between named and ntpdate.

Try put an external nameserver on /etc/resolv.conf

Also, you may try to use only ntpd.  If you use this machine often, you=20
don't need ntpdate.  Only ntpd.  You can check this with ntptrace.

=2D-
  josemi=20