Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 06:26:20 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Jaime Kikpole" <jkikpole@cairodurham.org>
Cc:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Random (?) kernel panics

In message <20010426115855.0D87137B423@hub.freebsd.org>, "Jaime
Kikpole" writes
:
> Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> said:
> > On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 09:42:45PM -0400, Jaime Kikpole wrote:
> > > makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		#Build kernel with gdb(1) debug
>  symbols
> >
> > The debugging stuff is all stripped out when the kernel is installed
> > into /, however it remains in the kernel.debug file in your kernel
> > build directory: if you haven't rebuilt your kernel since, you can use
> > this kernel with gdb and the vmcore image (it must be the same one as
> > the kernel which panicked and dumped the vmcore, otherwise it won't
> > work properly).
>
> 	So I'll need to reboot to the kernel.debug kernel, wait for the next
> panic, and then I'll have the details in gdb.  Right?

No.  You only use the debug kernel for its symbols.  The handbook says:

	Now, after a crash dump, go to /sys/compile/WHATEVER and run
	gdb -k. From gdb do:

	    symbol-file kernel.debug
	    exec-file /var/crash/kernel.0
	    core-file /var/crash/vmcore.0

	and voila, you can debug the crash dump using the kernel sources
	just like you can for any other program.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC