Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 16:45:21 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
Cc:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>, Kenneth Mays <kmays2000@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?)

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 10:49:45PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein
> <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru> wrote:
>
> > > Your question brings up an issue that was talked about several
> > > times, and it was addressed in the docs and the newsgroup.
> > > -STABLE is an engineering development branch that is 'more
> > > stable' than -CURRENT, but not more stable than -RELEASE.
> > > -STABLE is NOT for end users/customers for official production
> > > use (i.e. do so at your own risk).
>
> > I wonder why no one says that -STABLE really WAS stable and WAS intended
> > for end users less than 2 years ago. Moreover, Hanbook said you
> > need -STABLE if you are using FreeBSD in production environment
> > and you need stability, Handbook said it even 15 months ago.
> > And it has been assetring so for long time, that's where the name
> > of this branch came from. Anyone can see that in CVS.
>
> Exactly my point. The stability of FreeBSD is slowly but definitely
> deteriorating. The more the OS is gaining complexity, more bugs will
> be introduced or old bugs surface. As I understand it's very hard to
> support ever changing hardware, growing needs of userbase and hold
> the OS quality (in this context stability) on the track.

I think the main thing that is bothering me is the priority that is being
attributed to bug reports on the -STABLE branch ... when one of my servers
crashes, it takes ~1hr or so for it to dump core, since it has to use
netdump to dump it to another server (I don't have 4+ gig of continuous
swap space) and then there is the extra time required to fsck 100gig of
disk space ...

If someone could jump onto, and fix, why it crashed in an "exceptional"
environment, think of how much less chance there would be of someone
else's computer crashing ...

Using -STABLE, I upgrade my desktops and servers once every ~30days ...
I'd be happy to get 30 days uptime on my loaded servers before having to
upgrade, but if it crashes, my first steps have always been to report a
crash dump (if I can) and then upgrade to the next -STABLE, since it might
be somethign that is already fixed ...