Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:24:57 +0200
From:      "locus" <own3d@gmx.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: / is full while updating

Well /tmp dir is using up alot of space. But i dont know if what is still
needed to finish the updating.

[root@gagarin /tmp] du -skh /*
5.0K    /COPYRIGHT
3.8M    /bin
370K    /boot
4.1M    /cdrom
  0B    /compat
 41K    /dev
1.1M    /dist
606K    /etc
  0B    /home
3.0M    /kernel
2.7M    /kernel.GENERIC
2.7M    /kernel.old
 14M    /mnt
3.4M    /modules
2.8M    /modules.old
 18K    /proc
636K    /root
9.7M    /sbin
1.7M    /stand
  0B    /sys
 16M    /tmp
[root@gagarin /tmp] du -skh *
  0B    acin.kLIpZr2490
2.5M    install.2548
2.5M    install.292
863K    install.32
2.5M    install.377
2.5M    install.378
2.5M    install.472
2.5M    install.91
153K    locatevsKwIZ1747
  0B    mysql.sock
2.0K    screens
[root@gagarin /tmp]

> Have you tried cleaning out your /tmp directory?  It looks like something
> is taking up alot of space on the root partition.
>
> What else is on /?  (show me a "ls -lF /" and a "du -sk /*")
>
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, locus wrote:
>
> > i just tried to update my box from 4.0R to 4.1S. While doing 'make
> > installworld' my root partition got out of space (i dont have many
> > non-system files in my root partition, only about 3-4MB at most). Maybe
you
> > think, why i only have a 50MB root partition. Well i let the
installation
> > program allocate the space for the partitions automaticly ( i thought
they
> > have to know how big a root partition has to be :) ). Well the only
solution
> > i can think of at the moment is to buy a new hard disk and make a bigger
> > root partition. Or are there any other ways to get enough free space to
> > finish updateing my system?
> > If not...whats the best way to get my root partition to an other disk?
So