Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2006 21:30:21 +0200
From:      Benjamin Lutz <mail@maxlor.com>
To:        thomas@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   atapicam problem

Hello Thomas,

I'm having an issue with atapicam. Loading the kernel module doesn't
create /dev/cd* as expected but seems to have a serious impact on system
performance. Compiling it into the kernel causes the boot to hang after
detecting acd0 and acd1 (although after reading the mailing list, this
may not actually be a hang, but a slowdown, where I'd just have to let
it sit 15 minutes - I haven't waited that long).

Looking through the freebsd-stable mailing list, it seems that this
issue has come up before:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-stable&m=114302548927632&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-stable&m=114371352507049&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-stable&m=114372945516655&w=2

This seems to be the exact same issue that I'm having. Since those
threads are from March 2006, and I'm running FreeBSD-6.2-PRERELEASE, it
appears that the problem has not yet been fixed, so I'd like to ask you
to have another look at it. If you need more debugging data, I'll be
happy to provide as much as I can, just tell me what you need.

Cheers
Benjamin