Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:57:50 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>, karsten@rohrbach.de, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ** HEADS UP ** portmap daemon renamed to rpcbind

--IiVenqGWf+H9Y6IX

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 08:49:59PM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >     Question:  Does the rpcbind program in -current have the same probl=
em
> >     or has it already been fixed by whomever you imported the code from?
> >     (If it hasn't been fixed I'll be happy to fix it.  I'm hoping it ha=
s,
> >     though).
>=20
> Given the length of time that this problem has existed some how I doubt
> it...

I'm pretty sure it hasn't given that the Solaris NIS+ implementation
(at least as of 2.6) actually embeded both the port and the IP address
of the call back TCP port when making requests for large tables.
I'm pretty sure it did this due to the fact that they were too lazy to
select the sending IP.  The really painful thing is that the IP port
pair is encoded in ascii as dotted sextuples (123.124.125.126.32.98 =3D
123.124.125.126:8290).

-- Brooks

--=20

--IiVenqGWf+H9Y6IX