Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:16:05 -0500
From:      craigh@bugsoft.com (Craig A. Heilman)
To:        James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>, matt@bdd.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel thinks it's on sd1, when actually sd0?

At 19:31 07/09/96, James Raynard wrote:
>> After reinstalling FreeBSD (2.1.0-R, 2.1-Stable-snap, 2.2-Current-snap)
>> the kernel boot sequence determines it's on sd1, and proceeds to try and
>> mount root there.
>
>Hmm. The install program's reasoning appears to be "this is the second
>disk, and it's a SCSI disk, so it must be... the second SCSI disk!"
>
>> I have no sd1, and the system properly finds the drive during the boot
>> sequence as sd0.  I can make the system boot properly by either using the
>> "hd(1,a)/kernel" option at init, or the "-r" option at init.
>
>Yep, this is how to boot FreeBSD off a SCSI disk when there's also an
>IDE disk around...
>
>> When I boot with hd(1,a)/kernel, the init lines indicates that I'm not
>> booting from sd0, not sd1, as it would default.  This doesn't seem to be
>> an option during my kernel build, so what might be wrong?
>
>The answer is in the bootblocks on the IDE drive that specify which
>drive to boot from. If you get bored typing hd(1,a)/kernel every time
>you boot, here's how to change them so it happens automatically:-
>
># cd /sys/i386/boot/biosboot
># vi boot.c
>part = 0;
>unit = 1;
>maj = 1;
># make
># disklabel -B -b boot1 -s boot2 wd0

Hmmm - I've been trying to figure out a way to do exactly this.  I have one
IDE drive (all DOS) and one SCSI drive (all FreeBSD) and I'm getting tired
of typing "hd(1,a)/kernel" at the booteasy prompt.  I tried the steps
outlined above but there were several problems.  The first problem is I
think you forgot to run "make install" after running make (to copy the new
boot1 and boot2 files to /usr/mdec/).  The second problem is that when I
attempt to run the disklabel command exactly as listed above, I get an
error message "disklabel: /dev/rwd0c: Undefined error: 0".  Should I be
specifying a different disk (ie. sd0) in place of wd0?  Help!!!

Craig

P.S. I'm running 2.1R

*  Craig A. Heilman                        Bugaboo Software              *
*  craigh@bugsoft.com              Software Engineering & Consulting     *
*  (608) 274-2003                       http://www.bugsoft.com/          *