Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:03:47 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot.flp prob

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, John Brann wrote:

> KevinWaterson wrote...
> > I have tried every way to get boot.flp on to a disk but cannot seem
> > to get it right.
> > When I try to run rawrite my PC (586 133) hangs.
> > I have downloaded from different sites to be sure the file is not
> > corrupt.
> > What am I doing wrong here.
> > Is this another of those Roswell things?
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> Oops, I guess I should read mor mail, before answering...
>
> What's your OS?  Rumour has it that rawrite doesn't like NT or win95.  If
> your on a win95 machine do an F5 boot and then try.
>
> jb
>
> --
> Prohibit work, prohibit pay - people are dying!
> 			Situationist International slogan
>
> finger jbrann@brann.org for pgp public key

You're right there, been mucking about with this myself the last few
hours. (With the 2.1.7 release). Couldn't get it to work at all when I
created the boot disk on a machine win win95 it failed, even when booting
straight into dos mode.

Finally woke up to myself and did it on a FreeBSD box as follows:

dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/fd0

If you don't have access to a unix box then try on a machine with dos
machine.

Alsomy machine didn't hang when running rawrite, it appeared to work just
fine, but when i tried to boot the diskette it just sat there waiting.

BTW: you wan't F8 not F5 to go to dos mode with win95. F5 puts you into
"safe" mode. :)

Hope this helps
Andrew Perry
andrew@shoal.net.au