Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 14:33:01 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot loader problems with mix of wd and da

> Mike Smith writes:
> >This is the same as the old problem that required you to prefix a BIOS
> >unit number offset to the 'sd' in the old loader.  You need to
> >explicitly set $rootdev:
> >
> > set rootdev=da0s2a
>
> In boot/boot.conf ?  It does not help.  The kernel still tries to
> mount da2s2a as root.  This is without anything in boot.config, so
> hopefully it's not confused about the bios unit numbers.  currdev is
> disk3s2a, so it's correct.

Oops, sorry, that should be:

 set rootdev=disk0s2a

The syntax is stupid because this is a stupid problem that's very
difficult to solve.

> >> Why does /boot/loader confuse the kernel into thinking there's a da2 on
> >> which it might find root?
> >Because you haven't told it not to.
>
>  well I tried shouting "Yo, kernel, please don't mount root from
>  devices we don't have" while it was booting, but this didn't seem to help
>  either :->

8)

The problem is that we don't have a unified disk naming space, so it's
extremely difficult to discern that "disk2" in BIOS lingo is in fact
"da0" when you go to pass it to the kernel.  Probing is Bad and Evil
and I didn't want to go that way.  Maybe it's the only way to go
though.  8(