Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 01:58:41 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   EDitors [was: minimal download for a test install ?]

On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 09:50:59AM -0500, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> Sue Blake wrote,

> > > If I recall correctly (been years since a minimal install), bin includes
> > > only vi, in which case you might want to add emacs to
> > > the list if you're none too keen on vi.
> >
> > No-no-no, bin includes ed, and ed is a perfectly good editor.
>
> Whoa! Either you're making jokes that a lot of newbies might not get
> or you made a little mistake there, Sue.

And here comes Chris, Right on cue :-) Got any better ideas for
stopping people from being so bloody serious round here?

> 'ed' is a line editor. In
> fact, vi is a 'visual' (and more user friendly =) version of ed.

Well that's a bit of a stretch. It's a visual version of ex (and ex is
a more complex version of ed) but *I* regard ed as more friendly than
vi. (The more perceptive among you might detect a slight bias against
vi here)

> Did you mean 'ee,' Sue?

Yes I could have meant ee, but no, I didn't mean ee.
<plug>
You can get the full story at http://www.daemonnews.org/199810/editing.html
</plug>

> BTW, there is a pretty funny (but I'm a geek, but if you're on this
> list too...) Usenet message about ed, vi, and emacs that comes with
> the emacs distribution. See the message with subject, "The True Path
> (long)" in /usr/local/share/emacs/20.2/etc/JOKES.

Aha, I never knew that file was there before, thanks! Of course, I
agree with every word and can't imagine how anyone could have pulled
this finely written and well researched treatise on ed into a jokes
file that is only available after installing emacs :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-