Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:01:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Python-dependent port install fails when port & Python use PREFIX

I'm trying to produce the pkg-plist for a new version of the textproc/py-xml
port. This is on a fairly minimal FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE system.

I have not yet installed Python on the system because I want to make sure that
the dependency checking works OK. It seems to be having problems, at least
when I follow the instructions in chapter 18 of the Porters Handbook.

When I did the "make depends PREFIX=/var/tmp/py-xml", Python 2.4 was
successfully built and installed in the temporary directory tree.

But when I do the "make install PREFIX=/var/tmp/py-xml", I get the error
below. Can someone help? I don't know where to look to figure out where the
problem is.

# make install PREFIX=/var/tmp/py-xml
===>   py24-xml-0.8.4 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/python - not found
===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/bin/python in /usr/ports/lang/python
===>   Returning to build of py24-xml-0.8.4
===>  Configuring for py24-xml-0.8.4
env: /usr/local/bin/python: No such file or directory
*** Error code 127

Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/py-xml.

My current Makefile for the port is below.
It differs from the previous version in the following ways:

- PORTVERSION updated to 0.8.4
- USE_PYTHON now "2.1+" instead of "yes"
- pkg-req file and reference to it removed (now taken care of w/USE_PYTHON)
- CPIO redefinition replaced with CPIOARGS (trying to clear a portlint nit)
- --with-xslt arg to setup.py removed
- --with-xpath arg to setup.py added (optional though)

# Ports collection Makefile for:        PyXML
# Date created:                         04/17/1999
# Whom:                                 nectar@FreeBSD.org
#
# $FreeBSD: ports/textproc/py-xml/Makefile,v 1.27 2004/06/14 06:04:29 perky Exp $
#

PORTNAME=               xml
PORTVERSION=            0.8.4
CATEGORIES=             textproc python
MASTER_SITES=           ${MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE}
MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR=     pyxml
PKGNAMEPREFIX=          ${PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX}
DISTNAME=               PyXML-${PORTVERSION}

MAINTAINER=             mike@skew.org
COMMENT=                Python XML upgrade/add-on package, including SAX, DOM, Expat, and more

USE_PYTHON=             2.1+
USE_PYDISTUTILS=        yes

.include <bsd.port.pre.mk>

CPIOARGS=               --quiet -pdum -R
DOCSDIR=                ${PREFIX}/share/doc/${PKGNAMEPREFIX}${PORTNAME}
EXAMPLESDIR=            ${PREFIX}/share/examples/${PKGNAMEPREFIX}${PORTNAME}
PLIST_SUB+=             PACKAGE_DIR=_xmlplus

# XSLT support in PyXML is deprecated and broken, and may render PyXML
# incompatible with modern versions of 4Suite, so as of PyXML 0.8.4,
# this port will not install the PyXML's xml.xslt package (this is the
# default when PyXML is installed independently, anyway). Currently,
# there is no XSLT support for minidom, but it is possible to convert
# a minidom document to a format used by various XSLT processors
# (e.g. 4Suite can convert any DOM to its native Domlette, or you can
# serialize the document and let it be reparsed by any XSLT processor).
#
# However, xml.xpath, PyXML's XPath support for minidom is functional,
# so it may be installed by setting WITH_XPATH=yes.
#
.if defined(WITH_XPATH)
PYDISTUTILS_BUILDARGS+= --with-xpath
PYDISTUTILS_INSTALLARGS+=       --with-xpath
.else
PYDISTUTILS_BUILDARGS+= --without-xpath
PYDISTUTILS_INSTALLARGS+=       --without-xpath
.endif

post-install:
.if !defined(NOPORTDOCS)
        @ ${MKDIR} ${DOCSDIR}
.for docfile in ANNOUNCE CREDITS LICENCE README* TODO
        @ ${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/${docfile} ${DOCSDIR}
.endfor
        @ cd ${WRKSRC}/doc && ${FIND} * \
        @ ${MKDIR} ${EXAMPLESDIR}
        @ cd ${WRKSRC} && ${FIND} demo test \
          | ${CPIO} ${CPIOARGS} ${SHAREOWN}:${SHAREGRP} ${EXAMPLESDIR}
.endif

.include <bsd.port.post.mk>