Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:43:45 -0700
From:      William Carrel <william.carrel@infospace.com>
To:        Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>, FreeBSD Security Mailling List <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH Security (just a question, please no f-war)

On 6/26/02 11:30 AM, "Jan Lentfer" <Jan.Lentfer@web.de> wrote:

> Ok all,
>
> i somewhat gave up to follow the OpenSSH conversation on the list. I
> have ONE question:
>
> I am now running 3.3p1 on all my boxes (FreeBSD & Linux) with Privilige
> Separation enabled. Is this configuration secure for now or not?
> Do I have to update to 3.4 as soon as it is in ports or can I take a few
> days until everything has settled and calmed a little?

If and only if you have ChallengeResponseAuthentication set to "yes" then
you are vulnerable to a hole that will allow malicious code to be executed
as the privsep user ("sshd") in the /var/empty chroot().  This could lead to
further compromisation of your system (even inside the chroot as a
relatively unprivileged user).

--
William Carrel | Sr. Systems Engineer | william.carrel@infospace.com
InfoSpace INC  601 108th Ave NE | Suite 1200  | Bellevue, WA 98004