Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2013 09:40:38 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devel/gobject-introspection failure on ARM

On Jan 27, 2013, at 7:57 AM, George Mitchell wrote:

> System: Raspberry Pi
> uname: r245840M (Alie Tan's image from 25 January)
> ports: svnversion 308518
>
> Build dies with message "sizeof(ArrayTypeBlob) is expected to be 8 but
> is 12."  (Complete build log attached.)  I made a naive attempt to fix
> it by rearranging the order of the structure members, but obviously I
> don't understand structure packing on the ARM and it didn't help.

The easiest way to hack around this is usually to
sprinkle "packed" decorators on a lot of structure
definitions.

>  It also didn't get rid of the huge number of "cast increases required
> alignment of target type" warnings.

How troublesome these are depends on the processor.
I think the ARMv6 on the RaspberryPi is late enough to
support misaligned accesses.  It's a big performance hit
but better than crashing.

> I note we're at version 0.10.8 of this package, but upstream is at
> 1.34.2.  (It requires glib 2.34.1, though, and we're only at 2.28.8).
>
> What's the best way to proceed?

Given the version numbers you quote, I expect that
a newer glib would be a good start.

Good luck,

Tim