Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:04:18 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Server to browse ports tree.

Some time ago, people discussed the idea of writing an http server
allowing to browse the ports tree in the same way as one can do using
the README.html. I have just written one, in python, using the exact
same html templates which "make readmes" uses. Of course it needs an
INDEX file to work. It is free and can be downloaded here:
http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~talon/show_index.py

To run it simply make it executable and launch it. It will open a port on
8080 that one can browse with any browser on http://localhost:8080,
of course if the browser is not instructed to go looking on some proxy.
If port 8080 is inconvenient, on can launch it as
./show_index.py <port number>

This server is very snappy for single use, it is much faster and cleaner
than building the README.html (but requires python, of course!). Someone
with html skills, not my case, could improve on templates, however.

--

Michel TALON