Date:      08 Oct 2002 11:51:18 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        SweeTLeaF <SweeTLeaF@myrealbox.com>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: help with ln "linking" Please! [attn manpage authors!]

Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> writes:

> The manpage is super unclear about sourcefile and targetfile, I have said
> this for years.  Think of this paragraph:
>
> SYNOPSIS
>      ln [-fhinsv] source_file [target_file]
> ... as this instead `ln -s actualfile linkfile`

That's not the best way to think of it, since "actualfile" need not be
an actual file!  Nor "existing", as the manual has.  The "source"
concept is actually pretty good, since the "source file" is used as the
source of data when "target file" is accessed.

Confusion comes about mostly because the "ls" command shows an arrow
pointing from the target (AKA destination) to the source, backwards from
what most people would expect when thinking of source and
destination/target.  The arrow points away from the target!  It also
shows them in reverse order from how they are given to "ln".

How about this:  ln [-fhinsv] source_filename [link_filename]

I just TRY to remember them as being bassackwards from the more natural
order of "ls":  link -> source

Anybody else have terms they'd prefer the manual use in both the
SYNOPSIS and DESCRIPTION?

Peter, who have you "said this for years" TO?  Have you filed a Problem
Report which I could send a patch for?  If so, what's the number?