Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 13:43:28 -0700
From:      "Scott Worthington" <SWorthington@hsag.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        SteveFriedrich@hot-shot.com
Subject:   Problem with Adaptec AHA-2940xx

On Sun, 04 Oct 1998, Steve Friedrich wrote:
>>Okay the culprit was the AMI BIOS!
>
>How did you jump to this conclusion?? You're using a
different motherboard too.

It was not a jump, more like a skip.  Both motherboards use
the same chipset (VIA).  The PA-2007 is a AT mainboard
whilst the PA-2011 is an ATX mainboard.

>>I went to www.fic.com.tw and downloaded the latest
>>_AWARD_ BIOS for the FIC PA-2011 motherboard...
>>and PRESTO, she works!
>
>I've never heard of a moboard manufacturer offering multiple
>BIOSes for their moboards.  Did FIC switch to Award because of
>problems with AMI??  Have you reported your findings to FIC and AMI??

Perhaps FIC did have a problem?  I don't know.  I only know that for
this mainboard, both AMI and Award are available for flash.  And I
know that changing to Award solved the frustrating 'waiting for
scsi to settle' crash.

Does anyone know the direct e-mail to a developer at FIC or AMI?
I'd be glad to share the information.

Again, I hope this find helps others who run into the 'waiting for
scsi to settle' problem.