Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 2015 22:12:52 -0400
From:      Paul Pathiakis <ppathiakis@atlantisservices.net>
To:        OpenNMS Code Development and Bugs <opennms-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [opennms-devel] OpenNMS 1.14+ on FreeBSD 8, 9, 10, 11

Hi,

Ron and several others on the OpenNMS project (Ben and Seth) have been
pointing (hand holding :-) ) me in the direction of troubleshooting this
stuff.  I sent a letter just before this one to them with my results.

AFAIK, JDK 1.8 is a no go at this time.

HOWEVER, the letter I wrote is asking for confirmation about the 3 hour
unit tests that I just ran through.

It looks, and I'm awaiting confirmation, that I got it to build and run
the unit tests with OpenNMS 1.16, OpenJDK 1.7, on FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE.
I saw only two errors through the hundreds of unit tests. :-)

BIG CAVEAT:  I have NOT run it yet.  It may still core.  I do find this
hopeful, though, as just yesterday I couldn't even get things to
completely compile and test.  I did setup a virgin machine without a
firewall to do this build just to rule out anything in my development
environment.

I'm going to try and run it tomorrow morning and see what the result
is.  Again, I'm hopeful and will post tomorrow.

Jesse (and the others interested in making FreeBSD supported):  I'll
post the build environment that Ron provided for others to try. Lots of
eyes can help, however, as the OpenNMS people have pointed out and made
a good point about, it may have been (still is?) the JDK.  IF OpenNMS
confirms that my build looked good and the two test failures are of a
"warning" level, I'll run it.  If it cores at that point, it's going to
be up to the "Java on FreeBSD" people to figure out what's wrong with
OpenJDK as this works with Linux and the Oracle/SUN JDK 1.7.

Finally, the SIGSEV is the same error I was getting.  Newer versions of
OpenNMS, OpenJDK7, and FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE may have changed that.

Paul P.