Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:34:39 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two make questions

# chuckr@chuckr.org / 2002-09-23 13:08:04 -0400:
> On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> >     Now, saying "don't do it" is nice, but I'd like to know why.
> >     Why doesn't this work?  Also, what documentation (besides the
> >     source) is there that covers variable scopes?  See the second
> >     message for the problem description.
>
> Wish I could give you some satisfaction .... because "I've been there,
> done that".  Unfortunately, you aren't going to find it.  If you
> decide that the only thing that you can do is fix the docs, you won't
> even succeed there, because it will only raise a huge volume of
> complaints (seemingly endless nitpickers) all giving their own take on
> it, even though they won't fix it themselves.

    quite common. :|
    i think i might even try it some day, provided my better
    understanding of make i hope to gain won't cause me to lose
    motivation.

> The only book there is on make is pretty pissed-poor, the make book
> from O'Reilly.  I've been considering writing a book on the 3 main
> flavors of make for a while now .... I'm not convinced yet that
> there's a market for it.  I'm pretty sure now, with all the horrible
> make projects I've undertaken, I could do it.

    i say go for it. :)

> The odd behavior of variables is only one item from a whole list of
> them.  Go take a look at what use: means, if you want a headache.  Or,
> how about the behavior of "include", which *does* work, even though
> the man page says that only ".include" will work ("include" is
> compatible with both BSD make and GNU make, an important point.)

    can't this be fixed? i mean, perfect wording is important, but
    complete coverage of features is even more, even if not spelled out
    in the best way, no? :)

> When you don't have any problem with a file like bsd.port.mk, then
> you'll be able to claim to know make.

    yeah, figured that much.
    the post to hackers@ has really paid off, i already learnt quite a
    few things about make.