Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:19:43 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alternative options for ports

--nextPart2252690.sySETBBIEs

On Thursday 14 October 2004 15:50, Fernan Aguero wrote:

> IMHO, what we're discussing here, as many people more or less
> directly pointed out, are the differences between a binary
> oriented installation system, versus the source oriented
> FreeBSD ports system.

This is a misunderstanding on your part. FreeBSD (ports) isn't "source=20
oriented". Gentoo is source oriented. Packages built from ports are not jus=
t=20
some weird side-product, port maintainers need to actively care about the=20
packages produced from their ports.

> Thus, you always end up reasoning that building from source
> is the way to go, if you want to have control over the
> resulting binaries. Even in binary oriented systems.

This is exactly why we need more fine-grained (slave-)-ports that translate=
=20
features into binary packages which can be added and removed easily. If a=20
user asks "How can I get this or that feature in $package" and the answer i=
s=20
"you need install the ports-collection, set some option and then recompile=
=20
the port" it means that the port is flawed and a slave-port which translate=
s=20
the feature into a binary package is needed.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org