Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:22:09 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Daniel R.  Brownstone" <drbrowns@ls.wustl.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Optimizing FreeBSD

On Wed, 25 March 1998 at 19:44:16 -0600, Daniel R.  Brownstone wrote:

> Can anyone point me towards some resources for optimizing our system?  I'd
> like to make sure that all of the variables are set to the point where
> we're getting maximum efficiency from the system (which is running
> 2.2.5-RELEASE at the moment).  Any thoughts on this?

FreeBSD adapts to the user load much better than earlier versions of
UNIX did, so there's not much call for the kind of optimization that I
suspect you're talking about.  In general, unless you have performance
problems, you don't need to do much.  If you do have problems, you
need to address them individually.  On this list, this means you need
to tell us what the problems are.

Greg