Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:13:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Richard Colburn <rafe@disc.cba.uh.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PC card questions

OK, I'm trying to get a combo modem/ethernet PC Card working in my IBM
Thinkpad 380D.  The card is a Megahertz XJEM3336 card.  According to
Windows 95, the card runs on IRQ 10.

I rebuilt the kernel with the crd0 device enabled, and I used the hack
that allows crd0 and zp0 to run at the same time (the hack is documented
in the LINT kernel configuration file).

The card description in my pccard.conf file looks like this:

card "MEGAHERTZ" "CC/XJEM3336"
	config 0x23 "sio2" 10
	insert echo XJEM3336 inserted
	remove echo XJEM3336 removed

That card description seems to work, in that when I run pccardd -v it
doesn't complain about not finding the card description in the file
any more.

The sio2 device also appears to be configured in the kernel, but it
seems to point at IRQ 5.  Do I need to set it to IRQ 10 and recompile
the kernel?

When I insert the PC Card, the system sends several lines that look like:

Oct 23 11:04:51 redeemer /kernel: sio2: type 16550a

I don't get the insert message specified in the pccard.conf file, and
the sio2 device doesn't appear in the device directory.

When I eject the card, the system frees IRQ 10.

Also, in the /dev directory, there are no sio files, nor is there a
pcic0 file or a zp0 file.

I guess my questions are:

1.  Can I use this card for both Ethernet and as a modem?  I don't really
care if i can do both at the same time, but I'd like to use it for
Ethernet at work and PPP at home.

2.  Do I need to make additional changes to my kernel config file and
recompile the kernel?

3.  What else do I need to do to fix this problem?