Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:19:17 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        johnmpurser@home.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using O'Reilly's "Apache The Definitive Guide" with FreeBSD

John Purser wrote:

> This may be off topic and if so I apologize.
>
> I'm trying to work my way through this manual on FreeBSD.  Since the Authors
> were also working on a FreeBSD server it should be something of a slam dunk
> but it's not.  I'm having trouble with the ports version of Apache, it
> doesn't want to use the same configuration directories as the manual.  When
> I downloaded the latest version from the web and compiled it I'm get error
> messages when I try and start it in a specific directory.

I found that the ports installation starts httpd automatically using a
shell script in rc.d. It took me awhile to figure out that httpd -V
was pointing to /usr/local/etc but then everything fit. I turned on
the option to use ~username/public-html for the home web page
directory. If you don't use the ~ option, you have to add the pages in
the Apache home directory. I also have a script in /root/bin to start
and stop Apache. I haven't been able to get user cgi-bin to work but
that is the only problem right now.

Kent

> If anyone has worked with or is working with this manual on FreeBSD then
> drop me a line and let me know how well the instructions work for you.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Purser

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA