Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:58:44 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "LIQUID SOUL" <liquidsoul@webmail.co.za>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB modem support

LIQUID SOUL <liquidsoul@webmail.co.za> types:
> I want to use a USB modem with my FreeBSD 4.2 i saw the it picking the
> modem up at ugen0 but when i tried to use this in ppp.conf it crashed
> and rebooted . Any ideas on why this happened and how to get the modem
> working ?

You may need to return it to the store and buy a different one, or get
the interface specification out of the manufacturer and get a driver
for it written.

FreeBSD only supports USB modems that use the USB ACM interface.
Modems that don't use that - which pretty much means they use a
proprietary interface - aren't supported. If it is supported, it'll be
reported as umodem, not ugen.

Before giving up hope completely, try building a kernel with the USB
modem support built statically. You'll need to have usb and one of
uhci or ohci - whichever is recognized by your kernel, or both - as
well as umodem. If you're running GENERIC, just add umodem.  If you
boot that kernel and it's not recognized as a umodem device, it won't
work with the current driver.

	<mike