Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 00:58:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      Theo van Klaveren <havoc@phoenix.student.utwente.nl>
To:        patrick@whetstonelogic.com
Cc:        joe@via.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, havoc@Cal30B054.student.utwente.nl
Subject:   Re: What's the best accellerated graphics card for XF86?

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 patrick@whetstonelogic.com wrote:

> On 23 Dec, Joe McGuckin wrote:
> >
> > Now tha GLIDE for FreeBSD is available, what's the best video card
> > for playing quake, etc?

Well, since GLIDE only support 3DFX cards, I'd say your choice is
pretty limited :)

Besides that, the port I've done only supports the (now ancient)
Voodoo Graphics based cards. For Voodoo2/3, look at Doug Rabson's
patches to the original source code.

> And, who is going to build us a FreeBSD Quake 1, now that the source is
> out!

Sorry, I only got as far as the server so far :-)

The X11 client built, but there is a bug in Quake's assembly code
(methinks) that produces a SIGBUS in memset() ... haven't investigated
thourougly(sp?) yet.

I'll try and build the GL client, but I haven't got high hopes...
If anyone is intersted, I can give you my patches to the QuakeWorld
code (it fixes the Linux CDROM code and some other Linux specific
thingies).

Theo van Klaveren <havoc@phoenix.student.utwente.nl>
 http://phoenix.student.utwente.nl  /  ICQ #1353681

 - Why, oh why didn't I take the _blue_ pill?