Date:      Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:28:56 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6vesd=E1n_G=E1bor?= <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Release schedule for 2006

On Sat, 2005-Dec-17 23:35:34 +0100, Kövesdán Gábor wrote:
>I agree. And after all, tracking a security branch isn't too difficult,
># cd /usr/src
># patch < /path/to/patch
># cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs/cvsbug
># make obj && make depend && make && make install
># cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/send-pr
># make obj && make depend && make && make install
>
>Is that difficult?

Speaking as a developer, I think it's trivially easy.

As an end user, I don't think this is acceptable.  Firstly, it
requires that the user has installed the src distribution - which is
optional.  Secondly, the user is expected to use development tools
without understanding what they do - this is scary for them.  Running
the above commands is OK as long as nothing goes wrong but the
"support" group (who inhabit -questions and answer seemingly silly
questions) are going to have to cope with people who've made a typo
somewhere in the sequence and can't explain exactly what they did -
without putting them off FreeBSD.

I think FreeBSD Update shows the way forward but IMHO there needs to
be an "official" binary update tool accessible from www.freebsd.org.

--
Peter Jeremy