Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 13:24:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: runaway apache processes?

>>>>> "Alfred" == Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> writes:

Alfred> On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, David Gilbert wrote:

>> I've been having real problems with runaway apache processes with
>> more recent versions of FreeBSD.  Apache is configured (by hand)
>> with ssl, php, httpdapy (a python module) and a few others.
>>
>> When this happens, some (sometimes many) httpd processes chew up
>> 100% CPU and need a kill -9 to die.
>>
>> Has anyone else be having this problem?

Alfred> I'm not a php nor python programmer, however I've seen this
Alfred> happen when there is an accidental infinite loop in a php
Alfred> script, perhaps the php or python engines have a way of
Alfred> aborting a script after X amount of time has gone by?

But we've verified that this will happen even when the server is
serving a non-php page or a graphic.  It appears (after much pulling
of hair) to be due to the pthreads required by the python module ---
that compiling apache with pthreads makes it very wonky indeed.

Dave.